Law Offices Jon E. Jessen - US Immigration Attorney
Immigration FAQs

US Immigration FAQs

Aliens with Arrests \ Criminal History

En EspaƱol

I live in the US and the police arrested me or issued me a summons. Will this be a problem with Immigration?

  • An arrest alone is not a problem if it does not result in a criminal conviction.
  • An arrest that results in a conviction may be a problem depending on whether the conviction is a misdemeanor or a felony.
  • Generally, a single misdemeanor conviction will not affect your immigration case but more than one conviction can be a problem.
  • Certain felony convictions and misdemeanor convictions that carry a sentence, or suspended sentence, of one year or more, may prevent you from ever obtaining an immigration benefit.
  • If you are already a Lawful Permanent Resident, certain felony convictions or a sentence or suspended sentence, of one year or more, can result in Immigration revoking your Green Card and placing you in deportation proceedings.
  • You may have a problem with Immigration if you currently find yourself facing a criminal or misdemeanor offense and you are:
    • a Lawful Permanent Resident (green card holder)
    • considering becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident
    • an undocumented (illegal) alien

Suggested Plan of Action

If you are concerned about how an arrest or criminal history will affect your dealings with Immigration we suggest the following plan of action:
  • Contact the clerk at the courthouse that handled your case, and establish what you were charged with and how the charge was resolved. In most States, the court will issue a certified document called a Court Disposition Slip. This document will detail the necessary information.
  • Schedule a consultation with Law Offices Jon E. Jessen, LLC.
  • Arrange to fax, mail or email the Court Disposition Slip to our law offices for attorney review prior to your telephone or in person consultation.
  • Law Offices Jon E. Jessen, LLC can then determine if your arrest, summons or conviction will create an obstacle with US Immigration. We will review your options with you during your consultation.

Before taking a plea deal or going to trial consult with Law Offices Jon E. Jessen, LLC.
Call us today at 1-203-348-3262 to schedule your one hour consultation.

[Back To Top]